1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickup placement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by burno70, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I'm in the process of getting a custom jobbie built for me but haven't decided on the pickups yet. Just wondering what difference the placement makes. What difference in tone is there between having a HH set up to a single H set up like on a Flea bass?

I'm after a big punchy tone if that helps.

Any opinions would be welcome.

2. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    I think i'm right in saying that all the really punchy tone lives near the bridge, and the smoother tones live nearer the neck.

So if the only tone your after is big and punchy then maybe you don't need a neck or middle p'up, but if you occaisionally like a smoother rounder sound then maybe you'd benefit from having something nearer the neck aswell. If it was my choice i'd definately want the option of a slightly mellower sound.

3. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    IMHO, a Pbass is MUCH "bigger" and "punchier" than a Jbass . . . YMMV

Why not do it like the $$? A MM at the Pbass (mid) position and another MM at the "usual" MM (bridge) position. That's what I do on ALL of my fretted basses (the fretless ones have the bridge MM only).

BTW, I use the bridge pup "parallel" and the mid pup "series" - usually with both pups at max volume - for the "best of both worlds".

YMMV

4. Thanks for ya advise, that explains a lot. I need to do a search on series and parallel now so I can understand that theory properly.

Cheers