1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Pole Piece Height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Big Benner, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Hey there,

I have a question regarding the pole pieces on a pickup (a Music Man Humbucker to be exact). Do all the pole pieces have to be at the same height? If so then why and if they are not then how do you correct them?

I'll give more info on this after my rehearsal tonight and when I have the bass in hand. I thought I would just spark some comments and get some insight.

Thank you,

Benner

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i have differant pole piece heights on my jazz.

i think they are raised differantly to accomandate for the curvature of the fretboard.

i started a thread a while back asking this about my jazz, and this guy said he hammered them in with a plastic screwdriver or something

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The pole pieces on my Nordstrand MM replacement are not adjustable, neither are those on any J pickup I've encountered. Hammering the pole pieces into the body of a pickup sounds like a good way to experience the pickup marketplace to me ...

From a tonal perspective, I generally run my bridge pickup higher, than my neck pickup. Both pickups are pretty low however as to my ear that provides the most even response and *best* tone. YMMV.