Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup poles (jazz) sticking up really high?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by klocwerk, Jun 2, 2005.

1. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Hey all, not sure if I should put this in setup or pickups.
    I recently got a used MIM fender jazz (fretless), and the poles on the pickups are sticking up really high on the A and D strings.
    You can sort of see it in this picture:
    http://www.lordgoogle.com/bass/s1_mod/images/postmod_noknobs_l.jpg

My experience has been with P style pickups, so I'm not used to the jazz thing yet.

1. Is this normal? it's far more extreme than the curvature of the strings, so it seems pretty odd to me.

2. If it's not normal, how do I adjust that? smack em down with a hammer? :D

3. Anyone have a jazz body they want to trade me? I'm not fond of this color.

:bassist:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. Yes, it's normal. Sometimes you'll find them like this, sometimes all flat, and sometimes with adjustable pole pieces.

2. Can't adjust them.

3. I'd recommend either becoming a supporting member or removing this from your post. Only supporting members can post for sale or trade ads.

3. Yeah, you can adjust the pole pieces but be careful, there are tight copper wire windings around them and if you go too far either way the windings will bind up beyond the end of the pole and will no longer slide up or down.

If you want to move them down *slightly*, take the blade of a slot screwdriver and place it horizontally between the pole piece and your thumb and press down til it moves. If it goes down further than you want you'll have to take the P/U out and do the same procedure from the other side.

Be careful!!!

4. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

Thanks for the info...

looking at the forum headings though, it looks like anyone can post 'wanted' ads. Is that not so? might want to edit the subheading on the "wanted" forum if that's the case, cause I posted about a jazz body in there too...

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I took a look at that thread and it appears you're willing to buy as well. That should be okay with the mods over there. But won't be able to sell the other body here without becoming a SM.

Anyway, also noticed you put this same post in Setup. Not good, double posting is frowned upon as it takes up bandwidth. Please refrain from double posting in the future.

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    you got it king. I appologize for said bad behavior.
    Cheers!

7. I have a 03 jazz fretless , thats the way they came and they work fine. Dont wory about adjusting them. Have you tried the TI jazz flat strings on your baby yet? they give you a great deep thump.
    Enjoy the jazz and keep it low.....tallpaul

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I have D'Addario Chrome XLs on mine, and I'm diggin 'em so far. I rarely change my strings, but I'll consider the TI's if I can find some locally.
    Have you done an S1 (serial/parallel) mod on yours yet? That gave me a nice deep thump. :D :D

:bassist: