1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup position question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Holroyd, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Holroyd

Holroyd Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    NYC
    So, this sounds like a really stupid question, but here it goes.

On my Tune bass, I think that I want to replace the old pickups with a set of Bartolinis MK4CBC. According to the drawing on the website, the Barts have the two holes for screws on the side of the E string, the Tune has them originally on the side of the G string.

Does the position of the pickup influence the sound, or does it not matter?

Thanks!

Capture.JPG
    20181120_061431.

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I guess you mean to ask whether you can use the original holes, so orientation rather than placement* of the pickup? Yes, that should be fine, unless it has some unique design inside (e.g. Asymmetric coils). But, the leads may be short...

On the other hand, drilling new screw holes should be fine too...

*placement usually means where the pickup is in relation to the scale (i.e., distance from nut). Placement does have a substantial influence on the sound...

Holroyd likes this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

New holes are no big deal. Unless you really don’t want to and you want the logo upside down

Holroyd and gebass6 like this.
  4. Holroyd

Mar 12, 2015
    NYC
    Thanks guys, sorry about the syntax :) and good point about the leads being possibly too short.

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I believe the leads on the MK4CBC pickups extend from the middle of the pickup, so lead length shouldn’t be an issue.

Also, if you install the pickups “upside down”, the active coils will be flipped, which might make a difference in tone.

Personally, I would drill new holes and install the pickups in their intended orientation.

Holroyd, 96tbird and gebass6 like this.
  6. Holroyd

Mar 12, 2015
    NYC
    Thanks!