Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup positions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nick man, May 27, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Could anyone here give me the pickup positions for a P-bass, a Jazz bass bridge pickup, and a Music Man pickup?

Thanks in advance.

Peace
    Nick

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Look at the 2nd last thread, here in Luthier's Corner forum... it's called "Pickup Placement??" . Go in the thread, go down to my post, and follow the link to bgavin's spreadsheet. Your answers are there.

And be sure to thank bgavin!

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sorry, but I dont see where that information is on the spreadsheet.

All I see is Ebay prices and info.

Peace
    Nick

4. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I see that Bruce has added to the SS since I saw it last. That ebay stuff wasn't there previously. The bass info is still there also. What you need to do is go to the 2nd tab from the left, titled, "Basses". (If you're new to Excel - When you open the SS, it's on one of the ebay tabs. Click the left arrows, which look like black triangles, next to the tab titles at the bottom left of the window. They look like tape transport icons. Do this until you see the "Basses" tab, and click on it.) Columns X and Z have the pup placement info, and be sure to read the notes that pop up under the red triangles.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks again, but Im still lost!

I found the collums, but the collums are blank!

X&Z like you said, and I even read the notes, but I dont see the actual numbers.

Oh well.

Peace
    Nick

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Did you get to the sheet/tab called "Basses" ? Another way to change sheets is to use ctrl-pageup and ctrl-pagedown. If you're on the right sheet, and you're scrolled to anywhere in the first 60 rows, you should see the data.

It's worth the trouble- he has the positions for old and new Fenders and MMs.

(edit)

If you still can't access it, post back and I'll read out the info and post directly.