1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickup posts uneven?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steelhead2, Apr 18, 2010.

1. the posts (poles?)on my MIM J pickups are uneven with the covers,first i thought they were built that way with the A/D string posts a taste higher than the outers(`proud' of the covers),but now that the slobber is drying out from initial enjoyment i've noticed that on the neck pickup ONLY the two posts for the D are higher than the others

yes i did a search on this forum,nothing showed,,is it possible for the posts to shift?,seems i've seen strats with pickups like that,higher pickup posts in the middel of the P/U's=?,,i have a hammer!:D

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the MIM jazz basses of at least the last 5 years should have the "poles" for the middle two strings higher than the outer two sets.

yours must have been pushed down at some point. those poles are glued to ceramic magnets on the bottom of the pickup, and should not have been moved so easily.

you might be able to tap them back up from underneath, but there is a risk of breaking a coil wire and killing the pickup, so be careful.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The A&D posts are higher than the E&G to mimic the radius of the fretboard and the 'arc' that the strings make as a result. The idea is that the poles themselves are equi-distant from each of the strings. Your bridge saddles should describe a similar arc.

4. that makes sense the poles being arched,arked,arced,dang!,forgot how to spell after my trip to GCenter and fondling all the basses,amps,and a really hot check out girl(don't tell my wife!:bag:)hope i got her perfume off:help:

uhem!,,yeah well i thought i read on here a FENDER pickup didn't have magnets glued on the bottom of the poles,the poles WERE the magnets=?,,,interesting

well,i sure had fun there today BSing with an employeee,(guitar center),have to find out about`sonic maximizers',,oh yeah,i sanded the neck on my fretless J ,got rid of some of the curve at the heel along with the `kick',spent ALL day sunday jamming,cleaning,and tweaking my instruments from daylight till dusk,had the neck off the J 3 times(she was a problem neck now she's wicked):D,like the young lady at GC;)

EDIT> havent pulled the PG off this one as yet,did adjust pickup height about one minute after i paid for it so i had no clue as yet what lays beneath

(thanks for the replys;))