Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup/Pre Wiring Help is Needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lwleaver, Apr 25, 2005.

1. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    So, I want to put a Bartolini NTBT preamp in my bass and it has a pair of EMG pickups in it. I cannot tell what model the pickups are and am scared to death to start fooling with the internal wiring. The pickups have a metal braiding with a single white lead. There is a battery they pickups use so I guess it is safe to assume they are active. So, after looking at the preamp , which is pretty much wired up and ready to go. The pre is wired to 3 pots which are volume<push/pull> active/passive, blend, and a stacked treble/bass. If you guys could throw me some help that would be awesome. I figured you guys are the best and this is the best place to start.

Thanks.
    Landon

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, you have active pickups. The inner white wire will go to the inputs of the blend pot, the braid will be grounded.

one thing: you generally use EMG pickups with 25K volume/blend pots, I'm assuming your prewired bart assembly has a 250K blend pot.

3. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I believe it does. I would try to do one of the following, just becuase I am as green as it gets with this, is to either swap in the aguilar omb-1 which has a 250 since it is sitting right here or the bart. The aguilar is big and requires 2 9 volts and I do not have the room so I am pretty much left with the bart. The nice thing about the ntbt is the push pull active/passice option on the volume knob. If I was to get a 25k pot do they make them in a push/pull? Also, it looks like the blend pot has 6 connectors, 3 on top and 3 on bottom. Where would I connect the leads from the pickups? Thanks.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    stewmac.com, guitarelectronics.com should be able to source you a 25K push/pull pot. The vol pot may be 50K, I've seen that with the bart harnesses since it sits after the preamp in the signal chain . The blend pot is probably be more what you should be concerned with.
    The blend pot should be pre-wired if you bought a bart harness. The center lug on each row of connectors is where the pickup hot wires will be attached - every bart harness I've seen comes with a wiring diagram, did you get one?

5. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I jsut took a good look at the bart and pots and the voluem is a 250K, the blend is a 250K and the stacked treble/bass has C50KD written on it. can I use any of these pots or should I replace them?