1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup/preamp options for Pedulla Rapture J2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tonymcbony, Jan 6, 2012.

1. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Hey folks,

I'm loving my Pedulla in terms of feel and tone most of the time but I'm finding it to be too polite for my tastes.

It's currently got Bartolini Pickups and preamp which make for a nice sound but I find I disappear a bit live and it's not aggressive enough for me.

Any suggestions on a pickup/ preamp combination to give me a bit more grind and aggression?

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Although I'm uncertain about the type of Bartolinis used in the J2, I do have experience with the single humbucker Rapture 5. The stock pickup in mine was a 66BD5C-T, which is Bartolini's dark humbucker with a custom coil width. Although I liked the overall feel and sound of the instrument, I too found it a bit lacking in upper midrange presence. Bartolini's Classic Bass pickups have a more open sound, though they still might be less aggressive than some might prefer.

Here's a thread which discusses the swap to a Q-tuner BL-5: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/q-tuner-review-bartolini-comparison-samples-269689/

The Q-tuner definitely brings out a lot more of the upper harmonic overtones, and really opened up the sound of the instrument, IMO. As for the NTBT preamp, I'd say that it does color the tone somewhat, though the pickups are the greater overall factor. To my ear, the NTBT is fairly neutral, perhaps slightly warm, loses a little bit of air up top, and sounds a tad compressed. My bass has an active/passive switch, but I generally use the preamp for live playing. In short, I'd suggest trying different pickups before changing the preamp.

3. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I had the same issues with my Rapture J5. I swapped the preamp with a Glockenklang and that opened it up a lot. It also gave me a passive/active option. The stock Barts are passive, stacked humcancelling jazz so they are always dead silent. I was wondering about replacement pickups and found most manufacturers 5 string, 19mm jazz pickups are in a much larger housing so I contacted Best Bass Gear and they recommended
    Delano JC 5 FE pickups.

Delano Bass Pickups