Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup/preamp replacement for defretted Ibanez EDA905?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lockout, May 1, 2003.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Ok, so earlier today, I was thinking about my old bass, an Ibanez EDA-905, and what I could do to it for me to want to play it again...when the idea of defretting it entered my mind, and after reading some of the guides online to defretting basses, I got down to work :)

After it was all finished, I played it for a bit, and thought it sounded much better than it did with the frets on. However, it was just lacking a little bit. I'd like a little more growl, and a little more...powerful.. sound, if you know what I mean. So I was thinking of getting an active pickup to replace the Ibanez passive(I think) one that's in it right now..

Now, the pickup in the EDA is a different size than the EMG-HZs in my Spector and the pickups I've seen in other basses, so I have no idea what pickup will fit. Any ideas? Does Bartolini make a pickup that will fit?

I know that a new preamp would probably affect the sound more, but the preamp currently in it has those special pots built into the back side for setting the piezo volume, etc... so I don't think I should get rid of it...meh

Thanks in advance :)

2. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Bump.
    (I was about to ask a similar question, so I thought I'd recycle this one instead.)

-I was wondering about a possible replacement for the stock pup in my EDA905 myself. Something hotter.

I was talking with a woodsmith, who also happens to play a little bass, and he's of the opinion that routing/filling luthite wouldn't be a problem. So the new pup wouldn't necessarily have to fit the present cavity.

My main concern is electronic compatibility with the piezos and preamp.
    (I'm a bit clueless about all this, save for knowing that all systems aren't compatible...)

Anybody have any opinion as to the feasibility of it. Or maybe suggestions ?

Thanks.