1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup/Preamp replacement ideas for Lakland Skyline Deluxe 44-02

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DinnerWithAGypsy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Sometimes I get a bit disillusioned with the tone of my Lakland Skyline Deluxe 44-02. While it sounds very solid and well-balanced, very refined almost in a way, in a band mix, it doesn't have a whole lot of distinguishing tonal character in my opinion.

Does anyone care to concur or disagree?
    I'm mainly looking for people to provide feedback and throw around some ideas regarding potential pickup/preamp replacement options and combinations.

I'd love to get this bass sounding as good to my ears as it feels in my hands; it has one of the most comfortable necks I've ever laid hands on.

Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow morning or slap some new strings on the bass or play another gig or two and find myself wondering what I was thinking posting this. :rolleyes: I'm open to that possibility, too.

2. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    I have noticed that when slapping I almost disappear.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What pickups do you have in it? Is it the Lakland pickups?

I was never happy with the Lakland pickups in my 44-02, they just always sounded rubbery and bland. There's no real exitement going on, and to top it off they are a split coil design and (at least on mine) the coils are split directly beneath the A string which causes the A string to be non-existent. I still can't believe that Lakland would release a design like this. Otherwise the bass is incredible, and I'm sure the pickup design flaw is the reason why I got such a deal on mine..the seller just didn't know why the A string would not produce much sound.

The fix? SGD Pickups. Phenomenal! They make this bass sound HUGE with tons of punch and snap. You WILL cut through the mix with an SGD Neo humbucker at the bridge. I also got an SGD Vintage single coil for the neck, but I decided I really need something hum canceling, so Dave is working with me to do a hum cancelling Neo single coil! This guy is top notch.

The preamp is fine, replace those Lakland pickups.

4. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    I know you had some Delano pickups. how do they com pare to the SGD. i was really into getting Delanos but they seem a little sterile to me in many clips. I have never had the chance to play them my self.

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I never had the Delano's in my Lakland, only my Warwick so I can't say for sure. They were very bright and punchy in that bass, though. I did a string demo with them:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/elixir-steels-vs-eb-cobalts-my-little-review-865137/

That's more about the strings but at least you can hear the Delano's. Both are nice pickups and would be a great improvement over the Lakland pickups. I would give a slight edge to SGD though.

6. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    I listened to those when you posted them. They sound great in the warwick. I own a thumb and it's a sound that for me is in another world from Lakland. I live in an area where i don't get to try much of anything. Thanks for the input.

7. Thanks for all the input, guys!

I do indeed have the Lakland pickups in my 44-02.

So are SGD and Delano the only two companies who are making replacement pups that specifically accommodate this model of Lakland really? Or at least the only two prevalent makers?

What are the differences in tone between the two? Are the SGDs a more popular switch choice?

8. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    You'll have many other options. Most of which will also be cheaper. But they are two really good brands

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah there's also Bartolini, Nordstrand, Seymour Duncan, and EMG.

10. AERO makes pups to fit everything, and in different tonal pallets. Not cheap, but custom quality aint ever. My 55-02 had Barts in it. Not too sterile, but a might sterile.

I would have gone with AERO Type E and many have used Nordy Fat Stacks or Big Singles in their 44/55s with great success. You wouldnt need a preamp with any of those.

11. All good information! Thanks, guys.

I do know of other companies that make bass pickups. :) I just was more curious if certain companies were known more as the go-to for replacing 44-02s', and other similar Lakland models', pups.

I have a Spector NS4CRFM with EMG pups and a Pedulla MVP with Barts in it (both of which have very distinctive, personal, cutting sounds), so I'll probably give those SGDs a shot and try out a new sound I've not experienced before as of yet!

12. I beleive the SGD's like the AERO, can be custom wound for a unique voice.

13. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I have a 44-02 with Bart pups and pre and one with the Lakland pups and pre. I prefer the Barts. I've been wondering how the sound would change by swapping the LH3 pre for and aguilar OBP-3.

14. Yeah, I have the LH3 preamp in my 44-02, along with the Lakland pickups. I'm thinking the LH3 isn't the "problem" in my case; I'm probably going to go with SGDs, I think.

15. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm going to rezz this thread because I am also thinking about trying to do something with my 44-02. I have a '06 with the Barts and a maple fret board. I think its a little too high-mid focused, and lacking in the guts department. If I down tune to D or drop C the low end response isn't as full bodied as I'd like. A little more sparkle on the highs would be OK, but I don't want clanky. I'm not a jazz or slap player and would like more rock and roll out of the bass.
    Suggestions?

16. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If you want to sell those Barts, let me know! I've been looking for a set. I love the SGD's in my 44-02, but I need a hum free neck pickup.

I'm almost ready to drop the hammer on a set of the new Lace Man O' War pickups!

17. lex_lacemusic

lex_lacemusic

Jun 6, 2013
    Long Beach
    Production Manager: Lace Music
    You wont regret it! haha :bassist: