1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup/preamp Replacement - SF Bay Area?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emart, Jan 6, 2012.

1. emart

emart

Sep 2, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Any recommendations from TB'ers for good work replacing pickups and installing a new preamp in the Bay Area? I'd rather not just roll the dice without a referral of some kind.

Thanks!
    :help:

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'd call Gelb Music in Redwood City and ask their superb bass expert, Ed Cagnacci, who he recommends these days. :bassist:

3. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Give CB Perkins a call and ask for Eric. They are a three generation family owned music store. Great people and very, very knowledgeable. Eric plays the double bass in a great band with his brother called "JP and the rhythm chasers".

I can't say enough great things for this store. Highly recommended.

Shaun

4. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

If your in S.F. check out SF Guitarworks and/or Gary Brawer.
    Gary Brawer is excellent and has a great reputation. They did some fret work for me on a Strat and it came out great.
    SF Guitarworks are probably less pricey and they have been very pleasent to work with. My old MIM Preicision died they replaced my tone pot on the spot and bought my bass back from the dead. The price was reasonable too. They also have classes for budding luthiers.

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    In Berkeley Stephen White (510-548-8370) does great work.
    He fixed some electronics issues in my Pedullas that another local "luthier" had screwed up.

6. emart

emart

Sep 2, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks very much Gents.

7. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    +1 for Gary Brawer at Real Guitars on Lafayette St. in San Franscisco. expert level repairs and set ups. He is Gibson and Fender certified. He also had one of the first Plek machines in the Western US. Saw a post from Roger Sadowsky last year where Roger recommended Gary's shop as well. No surprise there. I have used Gary for nearly 20 years. Have run into Raphael Saadiq and Bobby Vega at his shop. Don't think you could do much better in the Bay Area.

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Another +1 for Gary Brawer. He just did some good work on my bass. I was very impressed by all the work I saw coming out of his shop.