Pickup Problem, Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JHG, Feb 21, 2004.

1. JHG

Feb 21, 2004

I have installed a Seymour Duncan SPB-3 in my cheapo P-Bass knockoff. When I touch the pickup screw closest to the control cavity, it clicks loudly through the amp (a grounding issue, I guess). It only does this when the pickguard is installed; if I remove it and move the pickguard away from the pickup, it stops.

This is not really a problem when I play pizzicato, but when I slap, it sounds like I have a bowl of rice crispies in my amp. In fact, I don't even have to touch the screw when I'm slapping to make this happen; moving my hand in close proximity to the screw is apparently enough to make this happen.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For what it's worth I've got a set of Duncan PJs and I can't shut those things up. I've shielded the cavity and ran foil to the back of the pups to the poles and grounded that and I still get ground noise when I lift my fingers totally off the strings. But they sound good with the OBP 1.

All I can say is make sure it's the bass and not the cord, amp, and double check all your connections in your bass, and maybe drop your pups a bit so the signals not so hot. It goes without saying to try different settings on your bass/amp just to see what it takes to get rid of the slap issue.

You might try a repost with duncan spb-3 in the heading to draw feedback from people that have that pup.