1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup Problem, Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JHG, Feb 21, 2004.

1. JHG

JHG

Feb 21, 2004
    :mad:

I have installed a Seymour Duncan SPB-3 in my cheapo P-Bass knockoff. When I touch the pickup screw closest to the control cavity, it clicks loudly through the amp (a grounding issue, I guess). It only does this when the pickguard is installed; if I remove it and move the pickguard away from the pickup, it stops.

This is not really a problem when I play pizzicato, but when I slap, it sounds like I have a bowl of rice crispies in my amp. In fact, I don't even have to touch the screw when I'm slapping to make this happen; moving my hand in close proximity to the screw is apparently enough to make this happen.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For what it's worth I've got a set of Duncan PJs and I can't shut those things up. I've shielded the cavity and ran foil to the back of the pups to the poles and grounded that and I still get ground noise when I lift my fingers totally off the strings. But they sound good with the OBP 1.

All I can say is make sure it's the bass and not the cord, amp, and double check all your connections in your bass, and maybe drop your pups a bit so the signals not so hot. It goes without saying to try different settings on your bass/amp just to see what it takes to get rid of the slap issue.

You might try a repost with duncan spb-3 in the heading to draw feedback from people that have that pup.