1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup Problem...i think

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Aug 21, 2007.

1. My bass makes a really loud like static/buzzing sound when i turn the tone knob on my bass up. When i turn it down it goes away..is this a problem with the pickups....or something else...its not the amp cause it does it on all my amps

Thanks in advance

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

unlikely a pup, probably a ground connection.

See FAQ Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide and it will help sort out the problem.

3. its not a grounding problem...i have looked and everything appears to be right

4. Does turning the volume knob or any other produce similar noise? If not could be a dirty tone pot of bad tone pot

You can clean the pots to see if that makes a difference. Its easy to do. check the other posts for recommendations

5. yeah when i turn it it kinda crackles..and the louder i turn the knob up the worse it gets

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

If it's a crackling only when you turn the pot then the pot probably needs cleaning. I just use the radio shack contact/control cleaner/lubricant.

If it's a static/buzzing regardless of whether you turn the pot that sounds more like ground. The only way to know is a process along the lines of the link I posted. As stated there, even a meter may not tell you if you've got a poor ground let alone looking. It also mentions pot cleaner.