pickup problem or something else?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jean06, Aug 31, 2018.

1. jean06

jean06

Aug 29, 2018
    Hi Guys,

I recently got a squier PJ bass from 2018 for 20 dollars, but unfortunately it has a problem. While the bridge jazz pickup seems to work fine, the mid precision pickup seems to have a problem. Indeed, out of this pickup I barely got any sound coming out; there is definitely a little something, but really low, I would say it is 1/20 compared to the jazz pickup. I would like to know if you guys have an idea of what the problem could be ? Also, I have never done that before, but when I opened the bass, everything seemed to be connected and there was no obvious problem. I am wondering whether it is the pickup or just a bad connection ? I would like to know a bit more before going to guitar center or sam ash and hear that it is gonna cost me 150 dollars, when it could cost me 10 dollars ....

Also, you can hear the sound from the bridge jazz pickup I get when plugging the bass in the DI input of my audio interface here, DI talk bass.mp3 , let me know if this sound alright to you, or if this one might have a problem too.

Best,
    Jean

2. Ok, the J pickup works, does the tone control work with the jazz pickup?

Really in a passive bass if one pickup works, about the only two things it could be is the other pickup and or it’s associated volume control. I’d try connecting the pickup directly to an output jack to check it but, I’m guessing, you’re drawing a blank when I say that. If you can have the bass plugged into an amp with the pickguard off, you could try wiggling the wires connected to that volume control, preferably with a string vibrating. If you get intermittent noise or the sound of the string that would indicate a solder joint or volume pot.

I’m sure someone else will come up with some testing ideas.

3. jean06

jean06

Aug 29, 2018
    Hi Matt,
    Thanks for your answer.
    The tone control works great with the jazz pickup. For all the other things you said, I am afraid I am not able to do it. I just tried to remove the pickguard and inside everything looked fine to me, but I was looking for something obvious.

Also, the volume knob for the mid pickup give no sound when at 0, and something really low when at maximum. But I just realized that this knob do not go up and down super flat like the other knobs, but instead is shifting a bit, like it had been hit. So maybe this is a connection with the volume knob rather than the pickup?

Thanks,
    Jean

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Sounds the volume pot has been damaged. The way to diagnose this is to temporarily wire the pickup directly to the output jack and see if it sends signal that way. If so then you replace the pot. If not then you'll probably need to replace both the pot and the pickup. Both of those are very simple repairs if you know how to solder.

5. jean06

jean06

Aug 29, 2018
    I actually don t know how to sold, and do not know anybody that knows how to do it.
    How much do you think this kind of repair could be ?

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Lets' do this the easy way. Remove the white for the precision pickup wire from the volume control get some bare wire showing on that white wire. Now with the guitar plugged in and the amp on, pluck a string and touch that white wire to the volume control of the jazz pickup. Does the precision come on like it should? If so you need a new volume control. If it is the volume control, you are looking about $5 for the new control and minimum shop charge to replace. Maybe $30 all together. You could spent that $25 shop charge on a soldering iron, solder and wire, and then learn to solder. You could practice on you old pot. Your call.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    bobdabilder likes this.
  7. Is the pot loose? Does the whole pot move when you turn the knob?

8. jean06

jean06

Aug 29, 2018
    Hi kathy,

Thanks for your reply, but from what you say, I don t feel comfortable doing it I think. At least not without having someone on my side, and I don t anybody around me that do have a soldering station.

When I turn the knob, it actually moves up and down really well, as the other knob. But it seems like this knob got hit or whatever, cos it is not going up and down really parallel to the pickguard.

When I got the bass, plastic was still protecting the pickups, it was actually brand new and from what I could tell, even barely played. Is it possible that a hit on the knob might have messed up with some wiring and just changing the knob and rewiring might do the trick ? I am planning on going to guitar center this afternoon, but I don t want them to tell me it is something it is not and change pickups and everything while it was not needed.

Thanks

9. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    A hit on the knob wouldn't mess up the wiring, but it can destroy the working part of the knob. Usually invisible damage. Everything you have posted about that knob does indeed sound like the knob is damaged and needs replacement. My little exercise with the white wire was intended to confirm that. It's hard to say for certain the pot is the trouble without doing the experiment I laid out, but it certainly looks that way.

10. Yes, a blow on the knob could damage the potentiometer and it could look normal from the outside. Sounds like you might have already gone to a shop but, if not, where are you? Maybe there’s a TB’er nearby. Mostly a good bunch on here and willing to help.

11. jean06

jean06

Aug 29, 2018
    I am on long island, NY, and did not go to a shop yet, cos the waiting list is for one week !

12. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You have to have it in the shop for the week to start. Go to the "Off Topic" forum here, at the top of the forum is a sticky called "TalkBass Mapped!!!". Open the thread and in post # 1 click on the "TB mapped! map" link. There you can find a member near you and send them a Private Message to ask for some help/instruction. If you blow up long island you will get this. You can click on any of the pointers a get the members name. That flower is a pointer too. You can't be included on the map if you don't list your location in your profile.
    upload_2018-9-1_19-20-57.png

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021