Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Ok, see if anyone can help me out. Im a rock bass player with a six string and when i finger pick it sounds very metalicy. It sound like im playing with thimbles on my fingers. Think of the Iron Maiden bass sound times 10. With the same settings on my amp other basses don't so this. Soooooooooooooo, does anyone know what is going on? Do I need new pickups? If so I play with an Ibanez soundgear SR406. Is it worth putting really nice pickups in? If you need anymore info let me know.

2. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Is your 6'er active or not...might as well post a general description of the bass before we pass judgement.

if it's active, where are you running your controls

for me (1 active - 1 passive) the passive runs with both volumes and tone at full....my passive is volume at full tones in middle position and blend in the middle. They match pretty good there, but if I was to crank my active's treble boost, I'd get your sound "high end death"

3. I have active pickups, with the blend in the middle. It has a 3 band eq, bass up slightly, mids in the middle, and highs up slightly. That is running into my ampeg b5r with pretty much the same eq setting.

4. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    when you switch back and forth between 2 basses, is the a major level difference?

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Are your strings new?

6. i got all new strings when i broke one about 4-5 months ago