Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fretbuzz85, Jun 19, 2005.

1. fretbuzz85

fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    Hi, ive recently accquired a second hand Bass collection bass. The pickups are stock pickups by SGC nanyo, im not sure if they are active but the electronics are active. PJ pickups with individual boost and cut knobs, 1 volume knob and a blend knob.

The problem here is that the boost/cut knob for the J pickup doesnt seem to be functioning properly. No matter which position the blend knob is in (middle, full P or full J), the boost/cut knob for the J pickup stays the same. Its always much too soft in comparison to the P pickup. When i boost it to the max, all that happens is that the hissing increases. The P pickup on the other hand functions properly and i cut it completely most of the time, because its too loud, and the bass is a fretless. Even when i cut the P pickup completely, i still get some signal from it, and this volume is about the same as the J pickup volume.

What do you guys think the problem is here? do i need to do some rewiring? Also, i plan to take out the P pickup and leave just the J pickup to make room for a ramp, so the boost/cut knob for the J pickup is going to be very important to me.

Thanks

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not sure I fully understand the question
    The boost / cut knobs are for bass and treble eq, they work on the whole sound - not individually per pickup.

3. fretbuzz85

fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    Ok, now that u mention it, it makes sense. But the boost/cut knob still fails to affect the J pickup in anyway at all. As for the boost/cut knob for the P pickup....hmm, i play through my computer with the bass plugged in directly to the soundcard. So even if the knob is in the middle, i get lots of distortion, and it gets worse as i boost it. So i just cut it completely, which takes all the distortion away.

I hope that explains it better

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, I'm still not 100% clear. There is no boost/cut for the P pickup alone. Unless the electronics have been changed, your controls are volume, blend, bass b/c, treble b/c.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you don't have much experience with active basses. Are you 100% certain of which knobs are which?

One thing to check with regards to your distortion: pickup heights. Generally your bridge pickup will be closer to the strings than the neck pickup. Otherwise the neck pickup can overpower and distort.

The other sanity check item would be the battery?

Either way, regardless of pickup height and battery life you can overpower any recording if the input level is too high.

5. fretbuzz85

fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    You are right, i dont have any experience at all with active electronics. I only have one other bass with emg pickups but the preamp isnt active.
    And yes, now it does make much more sense that those 2 knobs are bass and treble cut, not indivudual pickup knobs! thanks! really. You learn something new everyday.

The pickups are quite low actually, compared to the other bass, and ive tried changing the battery and its still the same.

So it looks like the problem here is that the TREBLE knob doesnt do anything for me other than add hissing.

The other thing is, if i do take out the P pickup, will my volume be cut by half?

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    while you may not like the result, it sounds like it's working. The more you boost treble, esp if your bass eq is flat or cut, the more hissing you'll get - specifics will vary from preamp to preamp.
    No, but unless you change the electronics you'll have to keep the blend 100% on bridge J pickup.

7. fretbuzz85

fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    ok, thanks alot man. You just saved me a trip to a repair guy and a possible consultation fee. Ill try to solder out the P pickup myself