Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassist_phil, Feb 10, 2006.

1. bassist_phil

bassist_phil

Feb 10, 2006
    Hello everyone!
    I'm new to this forum, and an intermediate bass-player.

This thread concerns the Seymour-duncan SPB-3 Quarter-Pound for P-Bass or SPB-2 Hot for P-Bass.

I have a Fender Squire p-bass, mid-'90's model (it sounds quite good and I'm on a budget!). The only thing I think is wrong with it is the machine heads and the pickups. So, I've decided to upgrade the pickups. That's why I'm here!

Right, it's a passive bass, and currently has the crappy standard economy-pickups in. I've been told SD are a good brand of pickup, and so I;ve been looking at upgrading them to the above SD pickups. Passive, of course. Which one would I be best of using? I want a nice toney sound with a little crunch, but the ability to go deep. Also, whilst looking at the info of these pickups, it says:
    "Complete setup: Often used together with STC-3M3 and -3M4 Tone Circuits for optimal tonal control."

What does this mean? I'm assuming it's something to do with the active range.

Anyhow, thanks for reading this thread, and any help will be highly appriciated.

Cheers y'all.

2. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    Without looking them up, I would guess the STC-3M3 and -3M4 are preamps.

Also, what the hell is "toney" (Danza?)

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've replaced the stock pickups in several low end fenders with the Quarter Pounder and it's always been an improvement. I use one in my 70s P also and it's an improvement there too. I tried a DiMarzio but didn't like it as much.

4. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    I played the standard p-bass for years until one day i figured that i would try somethin new.. I installed a SD quarter pound into one of my p-basses and i was blown away!!! After i did that i couldnt even look at my other fenders if they didnt have the QP in them... These pickups improve the sound of even the lowest of wal-mart basses as well... I say go for it dude... :bassist:

5. The Hot for P has more mids, and the QuarterPounder is more scooped.

Link to Bass Tones

6. bassist_phil

bassist_phil

Feb 10, 2006
    Cheers fellas, looks like I'll be buying that in a month or so! Thanks for the help