Pickup Question...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Oig, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Oig

Oig Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2019
    I have an older Ibanez GSR205 with the Jazz style pickups. Would a set from a De Armond Pilot likely be an improvement?

2. IMHO, no.

Do you feel it needs improving or are you just bored with it? :laugh:

3. Oig

Oig Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2019
    It's not bad per se, but yeah, it could use some improvement. I don't wanna spend what it'd take to get Duncans or Dimarzios though, so...:)

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    How do you define “improvement”?

sikamikanico likes this.
  5. Oig

Oig Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Sonically. I guess they just sound a little meh. They lack both the detail and punch of the Quarter Pounder in my P. Wondering if I can find something better for not a lot of coin.

ctmullins likes this.
  6. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    What strings are you using? Try a different set of strings, pretty cheap and very effective.
    Even cheaper, have you messed around with setup, chiefly pickup height yet? That can help a lot too.
    You can also try series wiring, that would add some punch, though maybe it wouldn't be great for "detail"...
    (also, FYI, "detail" and "punch" mean different things to different people, so it's always good to be as specific as you can be...).

Other than that, I'd wait for a good price on a nice set of used pickups. Besides Duncan and DiMarzio, Wilde pickups a very well priced and great (thought are not as easily found used). But it all depends on how they will work in your bass, and with your amp, and with your ears... it's trial and error.

Oh, make sure to measure the pickups first - most sets have the two J pickups with different lengths (neck pickup is shorter). But some cheaper basses use the same length pickups in both positions. Measure and compare with specs before buying...

Pizza1988 and ctmullins like this.
  7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories Is your friend!

(Assuming you’re in the USA...)

There are lots of great quality pickups out there, but the only way to find your favorites is to try them yourself, with your ears, in your bass. So folk try them and then take them out and sell them pretty often. :bassist:

I will second @sikamikanico ’s recommendation for Wilde. Fantastic detail, and plenty of punch, for not a whole lot of coin!

8. I would agree with @sikamikanico that trying new strings and a set up first. I would recommend a brighter string for "detail". I use Dunlop Super Brights (Marcus Miller Series) and they bring out a lot of tones from any bass I put them on.

Its also a different pickup style/arrangement than a P bass so they aren't usually as "punchy". IME, going cheap on pickups isn't worth the time and money. BUT - If a set up/new strings doesn't do it for ya, then yea, start playing with some different pick ups :bassist:

I hope you find what you're looking for! :thumbsup:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021