Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by xonebass, Mar 25, 2005.

1. xonebass

xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA
    I'm really not sure if this question should be in the luthier corner or in the pickups section. But considering that some of you make your own pickups I decided I would ask here (please move this thread if it isn't appropriate).

I'm considering winding my own pickups for a project bass that I'm building and even after browsing here, at MIMF, and in various books on building guitar/bass electronics I'm still a little vague on where to purchase "vintage style" magnet and PUP wire.

I'm aware of various places like guitarelectronics, Stew Mac etc. that sell these items, however, I'm looking specifically for formvar wire and alnico bar magnets. I'm a little vague about the properties of these items but I have read that they are what was traditionally used in vintage J PUPs and that's the tone I'd like to emulate. I haven't seen these (maybe I've not looked thoroughly enough) and I was wondering where I might purchase some (if that's even possible).

I've been lurking in the luthier corner for quite awhile :bag: but I haven't spoken up yet so go easy on me. Thanks.

2. xonebass

xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA
    No Dice huh? :meh:

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    http://www.lollarguitars.com/

This cat wrote a book about winding your own pickups, the book has a supplier list, etc. I checked his site (at the above address), and it says it's no longer available. Email him and maybe he can steer you to a copy, he gets back to email pretty quick and is very helpful (and his j-pickups are amazing!).
    Hope this helps a little?

4. xonebass

xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA
    Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

5. stewmac is selling 1/2 lb spool formvar magnet wire as well as alnico bar magnets. check out the pickup parts section.