Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thebassmuchacho, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Im in the market for a bass and there one thing that has always been a problem for me. I have a slap style where it requires a good hunk of room between the neck and the neck pup. When i try slapping on basses with j pickups i usually dont have enough room, its gets too crowded. Anyways im in the market for a higher end 5 string and theres a certain bass i want that has j bass pickups, but for an extra charge i can get a MM style pickup giving me the room i need. What are the pros and cons of the j style in general vs. the mm style pickups?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

from my experience, the main disadvantage of an MM for the most part is, with few exceptions, MM's sound basically alike cause they're copied after the original (and they're pretty darn close in my experience - much more so than attempts to nail vintage Fender Js). So if you don't like the tone, you're basically stuck. Acoustics of the bass, caps, amp, cabs, pre's etc. can be used to compensate however (although, with the exception of caps, pups are what usually go first). The advantage is they're humbucking at any volume setting - unless the coils are split - and the main thing for you, you have the room you want. The greatest pup in the world isn't worth much if it cramps your style. The amp/settings has a lot to do with slap - you can get a decent slap from practically any bass with decent mids and highs through most GK's. I've heard Ray's slapped through GK's that were toastie.

The main advantage of J's to me is you can get practically any tone you want through a J set cause there's been a million of them made with various coil constructions. Oddly enough, another advantage is they give the player plenty of room to work.