Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jazzman23, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Jazzman23

Jazzman23

Dec 23, 2005
    Hey all,

Im thinking of buying some new pickups to replace the stock ones on my Godin Freeway. I have a couple questions - firstly, what kind of pickups do you guys recommend (standard P and J pickups)? Im looking for pickups that add a bit of growl and more definition to my sound.

My second question is, is it easy to change pickups? Note that I am a relative bass newbie who still has some trouble changing is strings.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Freeway is a nice bass. I'd put Bassline Quarter Pounders in it. That should give you the sound you want.

3. Jazzman23

Jazzman23

Dec 23, 2005
    Thanks for your help man, I'll look those basslines up.

And yea, the Freeway is a really nice midrange bass. Its a welcome change from my Squire anyway, lol.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I almost bought a Freeway last year. I should have. Loved the neck and balance and with that pickup upgrade would suit me perfectly. The stock strings I didn't like. I don't think they do the bass justice.

Godin's quality is very good. I have one of their old P style replacement necks on my P now. They used to make them but don't anymore.