Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup recommendation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by poloftesn, Sep 19, 2004.

1. poloftesn

poloftesn

Nov 10, 2003
    Norway, Oslo
    Hi there!
    I've got a Fernandes Gravity-6 string bass, and I think it's a wonderful bass. The thing is, I just don't like its pickups. They are noisy, low output and don't sound the way I want them to... I therefore ask if someone could recommend a replacement? I'd like the bass to be as flexible/versatile as possible - I do a lot of slapping, but also regular finger playing stuff.

Thanks in advance!

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Do you have the active or the passive version? I have the active with the stock pickups (Gravity string) and prefer them against the EMG HZs of some other Fernandes models. The HZ hambuckers sound very dark and punchless for my taste. I didn't try one with the EMG J space hambuckers. There's a friend of mine, Titi Lapolla, from the argentinian metal band ANIMAL. He's a Fernandes endorser and uses two 6 string Gravities that sound like no others I've ever heard. Maybe you can ask him:

www.titilapolla.com.ar
    titilapolla@latinmail.com

Hope that helps...

3. Fruitfly

Fruitfly Guest

Jul 25, 2004
  4. poloftesn

poloftesn

Nov 10, 2003
    Norway, Oslo
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've got the stock Fernandes active pickups. Maybe I should try some more adjusting? I'll look into it. Any tips would be highly appreciated!
    I would really like my bass to be more punchier and fuller sounding.

The Q-Tuner pickup looks interesting - really transparent. And those harmonics.... wow... Cool!

Thanks!