Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup recommendations for a Yamaha TRB5II

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stretchcat, Jan 12, 2005.

1. I have a TRB5II, that I bought used, and the pre-amp was having some very bad noise problems. I ended up replacing it with an EMG BQS Control (the three band one) which really opened the bass up and fixed the noise problem. However, now the bass has a very bright high end that is great for some things, but I can never seem to really tame it even after experimenting with the DIP switches that adjust the knee frequency. I would like to try to replace the pickups with something else, not so much to get the "Yamaha TRB sound", but to get a good ash body/bolt on neck/35" scale/soapbar pickups kind of sound. I have been considering Bartolinis and EMGs. BTW, I am not against doing some minor wood chiseling if neccessary.

2. John Meyers

John Meyers

Dec 14, 2003
    You should probably go with the EMG's. Sence thats the type of electronics you went with. The EMG dual coils sound good, nice and strong, with plenty of bass. Go to there web site www.emginc.com there you will find a list of all there pick-ups. I had the same electronics you have in a bass I built and those dip switchs don't seem to make that much of a diffrence, do they? Well I hope this helps you in your quest.

3. Thanks John. After doing some research, it looks like I should get the EMG TWs, for maximum versatility (the do the single coil sound and the CS sound) and and because as EMG marketing puts it, "The CSís are much warmer as a result of higher inductance, have a smoother attack and a flatter high end. They are the most "Traditional" sounding of the group."