pickup recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Sep 10, 2003.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i've posted so many "this vs. that" threads that i've decided this time i'm going to just post what i'm after and take your thoughts on it. i'm looking for new pickups for my 2001 mia jazz (natural/maple). it's going into a mesa 400+/svt 8x10, and i play in 2 LOUD rock bands (see my signature). i'm looking for something with slightly more output, and a thick, balanced tone. here are some of the pickups i've thought of:

dimarzio ultra jazz
    dimarzio model j (don't like the adjustable pole pieces)
    basslines quarter pounders
    basslines hot jazz
    fender cs 60's

i'm not looking to spend a ton of money, and right now i'm not really interested in the series/parallel mod. i just don't like the idea of switches or push/pull pots on my bass. i'm very active when we play, and i like just having the 3 knobs wide open. let me know what you all think. thanks alot. i'm sure i'll have more questions later.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I recently replaced the active Barts in my Jazz with passive SD Hot Jazz PUs. Although I play a different genre of music then you, I believe that you might like the Hot set.

Thi pick up gives you good low end with some warm mids, and good highs. However, the highs are not like the hi-fi sort of high end that the funk and jazz players like. There is a nice punch in the lows and mids. They have a very full sound. Judging by your profile, these pick ups might work well for your playing style.

I tried quarter pounders once a long time ago and did not like them. They had a bump in the low mids which I didn't care for. It might have just been the bass I tried them with at the time. Just my opinion. Sorry, I have not tried any of the others.