Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup replacement.........78 p-bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CentralCoastBass, Jan 24, 2006.

1. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    recent aquired a 78 p-bass with non original pickups. i was hoping to bring the bass back to stock by purchasing an original on ebay. well, i cant bring myself to drop a couple hundred bucks on the correct era pickup. so, what pickup will sound closest to the original? i appretiate all suggestions and experiences with different models.

2. CentralCoastBass

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    hump

3. CentralCoastBass

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA

my bass had this pickup in it when it arrived. d e e p sounding, but almost a bit muffled to my ears. a cool pickup, but far from the original look, dont know about the sound. it was removed. i also had a duncan qp, too harsh. i'm gonna read that thread though.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dimarzio Model P was a common replacement in this era.

5. I like the Vintage for P from seymour duncan: very vintage

6. I'll second the Duncan SPB-1 Vintage if you're looking to get close to the original. I have one in my '78 P. I recently had a chance to play another '78 P with original pickups. The Duncan is very close tonally...maybe a little bit hotter than the original is all.

That said, I've always wanted to try the Bart 8-S that Smash mentions. My experience is that the high end on the heavy ash 70's bodies can be a little too much in your face. But that all depends on what tone you're after...

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would contact Fender for a replacement. Tell them your story, they will probably be able to give you something as close to the original as anyone could.

Fender pickups, IMO are criminally underappreciated.

8. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I think that the stock PU is great, but I could see the room for improvement. It kind of depends on what you want to use it for. I was playing mine in a hardcore band, and the thing cut through everything. It sounded gross, in the best of ways. With rounds, it sounded like the biggest, ugliest, happiest fart ever. However, I now have it set up with flats and the origional cover and foam. I can see how a warmer PU would enhance the motownish vibe.

9. CentralCoastBass

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    not really looking for a motownish vibe, i dont know what vibe im looking for. i just want it to sound like a 78 p bass....old, but not 60's old. i am currently using a duncan vintage, so i guess it stays. thanks for all the replies!!!!