Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup replacement for a carvin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkedupbass, May 22, 2005.

1. I'm ordering a mohogany LB20 w/flame maple top and am kinda unhappy with the pickups (j99). I love the bass, just have a feeling that better pickups would beef it up. I play primarily rock, funk, pop and the occasional jazz standard.
    I'm wondering if anyone has put Bartolini's in their carvin and how it ended up. Particular the 9Ks jazz set. But any input is appreciated.
    I don't want to go active as I have an active bass aleady.
    thanks,
    eric

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey Eric!

Well, i'm not sure what kind of a tone you are looking for, but i would reccomend either bartolinis or Basslines'.

The bartolinis are known to give a low output signal, and a warm, smooth tone. They work best with an active preamp, IMO.

I think you would be happy with a couple of "Antiquity" jazz bass pickups. They have a very thick, warm jazzbass tone that blends perfectly with a moderately heavy band. If you need a more modern, beefy and punchy sound, try the "Quarter Pounders", which are... well...... best decribed as a single coil of a very overwound MM pickup :D

Other than that, you have the "hot stack", which is somewhat "in the middle" ;)

Cheers!
    -Erlend