1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup replacement for semi-hollow question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nshuman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Hi,

I want to replace the pickups in my Eastwood Classic 4.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/Bass/classic4/classic4Bass_frm.htm

While I love the bass, the neck pickup has been replaced under warranty because it was just moving within its own housing. Now the bridge pickup is starting to do the same. The original pickups sound good but are just badly constructed. The build quality on the rest of the bass is actually pretty good on my copy but it just does not extend to the pickups.

So, I am thinking of the following three choices for replacements:

#1 TV Jones Thundre'tron
    http://tvjones.com/pickups/bass-pickups/thunder-tron/

#2 SGD Series 3
    http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/ND3-HB.html

#3 SGD Series 4
    http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/SW4-HB.html

I understand that SGD would have lead time issues but I can wait on this so it is not really a consideration for me.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Also,any SGD 3 vs SGD 4 thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Blues56

Blues56

Oct 27, 2012
    NJ
    I had a similar pickup problem with my Classic 4 and solved it by slipping a thin piece of metal between the pickup and the ring. The pickups don't sound that bad but like you, I have been thinking about replacements. TV Jones look like a good fit but I'm not familiar with their sound. I'm also thinking about Daguet pickups.

3. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Well, I also put pieces of metal and/or paper between the pickups and the rings. That fixed the issue for a while. But, the the pickups started moving within their own housings. Basically, it moves up and down inside its metal cage.

Anyway, I just ordered two chrome TV Jones Thunder'Trons with silver rings. I'll just get them installed by a luthier when I et them. I will ask them about changing the nut as well. May as well et the original plastic one replaced while I am at it.

I'll post an update when I have had it all done.

4. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Ended up with the Thundertrons, they sound amazing. ALso swapped the bridge and had a bone nut installed.

1PJuJ8e.

tomhanzo likes this.
  5. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    That's a gorgeous bass. I'm looking into an Eastwood myself, though a Sidejack not a Classic.

At any rate, glad everything worked out!

6. Blues56

Blues56

Oct 27, 2012
    NJ
    Looks great. Where did you purchase that bridge? I'm trying to find one myself.

7. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I got it from this place about a year ago:

http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/gretsch-guitar-parts/bridges

To be honest, the bridge is fine but the base that came with it had issues. Mainly, the posts are either not the right spacing or the post screws themselves are too small a diameter. So, the bridge was very unstable on it. I decided to keep the original bridge base that came on the Eastwood as it fit perfectly with the Gretsch bridge. I swapped out the two bridges maybe 5-6 times but the Gretsch Space Control bridge always gave me more sustain and that just made the pickup issues worse (vibration of the pickup itself, the pickup hitting the original rings, etc). But, with the TV Jones pickups, using the new bridge is a no brainer. What I really wanted to get was a tru-arc bridge but the guy from Tru-Arc (Prometheus on the Gretsch pages?) has never replied to my many emails so I decided to give up on that one for now.

The next project on this bass will be to change the pickguard, I was thinking getting a clear lexan one made so you can see the wood through it. The luthier also told me it would be a fairly small procedure to completely rewire it and add a pot for master volume, so that might be something I get done next year.

8. Blues56

Blues56

Oct 27, 2012
    NJ
    Thanks for the info. So do the TV Jones pickups actually sound? I have a luthier nearby me who is a dealer in these pickups so I might consider them.

9. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    They sound great. Less muddy than the original pickups for sure. More mids, more highs, more lows :) Really, if you get a chance to try out a Gretsch Thunder Jet or Billy Bo Jet, it will give you a good idea of the pickup sound. I am really happy with them.

10. Will they fit into the Epiphone Allen Woody? Your description sounds promissing...

11. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I do not think the ones I got will fit an allen woody. But, they have other sizes/mount styles.

I would just contact TV Jones, they are very responsive and will get back to you quickly with what is needed for your bass. They have their various sizes on their website as well.

An alternative would also be pickups from SGD. But, yeah, if you can fit them in, you would probably like them.