pickup replacement help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funk2live, Jan 4, 2006.

1. funk2live

Jan 4, 2006
  2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Why don't you play the thing first. Search the pickups and electronics threads.
  3. funk2live

Jan 4, 2006
    I've played it for about 3 or 4 years. Just looking for some advise on which pickups people recommend.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it depends on what you don't like about your current sound, and what you're looking to get.
    It also depends on the measurements of your existing pickups - they LOOK like standard EMG / Bart soapbar shapes, but measure to be sure.
    Any pickups you buy will almost certainly exceed the value of the bass once you pay for installation. Maybe you'd be better off upgrading basses?
  5. funk2live

Jan 4, 2006

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. I am just strapped for cash and am looking for an alternative to buying a new bass. Thanks for all the info and suggestions.
  6. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

What is wrong with the Kramer???
    Is it just not doing the job or do you have a bad case of GAS??
  7. funk2live

Jan 4, 2006

There is just no life to the tone. It sounds like it has 10 year old strings. And the strings are only a couple months old. And I may have a little GAS. I havn't swapped any gear in about a year now.
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Has the bass always sounded like this or is it something that's changed - say in the last two months?

If it sounds like the strings are dead they may be dead. Are they decent strings or junk?

If it's always sounded like that, what are you playing through. I would definetly play it through a decent rig before touching the bass because it may not be the bass.

Typically, you can replace pickups more or less for free in the long run if you buy used with common sense. Decent pickups retain their value once the initial depreciation so you can buy them, drop them in, use them, sell them when you're done and basically get your money back (if you keep the old pups to stick back - which you couldn't get anything for anyway). Problem is it will cost you up front and you've got soaps and decent soaps aren't plentiful and don't go cheap - a single used active EMG soap will typically cost you about $60 or better (what you can usually get other pairs for). And that would be your best shot cause EMG's make up about 75% of the desireable used soap market for 4 strings.

Given as much, if the bass is the source, probably something like a Sans Di may be the way to go. Still going to cost you about $100 used but they're known for pulling decent tone out of weak gear, they are decent, you can use them with other basses (guitar for that matter), don't have to touch the bass, and it's a very small light versatile piece of gear to have - and they retain their value.

Read reviews on your bass (on similar others maybe) at harmoneycentral.com (wherever) and see what kind of experiences those guys have had and what they've done. Also look around and see what funk/alternative guys are playing professionally and locally for an idea of pups they use. You might run across some sleepers somebody's using that are more reasonably priced. They are some very decent cheap pups around - the PV low end pups have been particularly impressive to me and their Foundation pups (whatever) may fit those routings.

As long as the bass is playable and comfortable, it's worth keeping, and you can probably get the tone (short of some freak piece of junk with horrible acoustic properties).

If you don't have the money then you're going to have to curb your appetite with new tunes, different technique, etc - something different and free till the funds are generated. Fact is even if you had the money you don't know what you want or necessarily what the source of the problem is so you're not prepared to buy anyway.