Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup replacement on Ibanez GSR205

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fong249, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Its not alot to work with, but I got a GSR205 about a year back and the tone is starting to get a little boring. It doesnt sound that full to me, and I've been playing through a Ampeg, so I know its not the amps fault. Could be mine. Does anyone know what size the pickups are for the GSR205 series? they are J style but since its a five string i dont know whether that affects the size of the pickups, they look pretty small too. If i wanted to upgrade the pots and change out the pickups for something like EMG's for a more growly tone, what would i need to do in terms of sodering, etc. There are two volume pots (one for each pickup) and one tone pot. Anyone got any ideas? im fully open.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    this should maybe go in the pickup forum...

You could always go with EMGs + the EMG preamp...

3. Wait, not the amps fault eh? You sure it's not one of those P.O.S Ampegs out there?? The only good Ampegs are SVTs, IMO. If you have one of those low end Ampeg amps, you'd better check twice. I played a BA115 in GC, sounded like utter crap.

~Ryan

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I agree with the "It could be your Ampeg," thought. The solid-state Ampegs, to me, are dull.

The GSR pickups are known to be on the growly side as well.

Also, do you want to stay all passive or do you want to add active pickups and an active preamp as well?

5. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    SVT Head, im 90% sure its not my amp. I dont mind going active, even if it requires routing a hole in the back of my bass.

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    If you had an SVT, it would weigh nearly one-hundred pounds and would be full of tubes. If you had one, you'd know.

And you don't have to run a hole through the back of your bass if you go active, there may be room in the control cavity.

7. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    what i was saying is, I have a svt head, im 90% sure that my amplifier is not the problem*. I can keep the battery compartment in the same cavity as my pots?

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes, as long as there is room.

What head do you have, by the way?

9. older SVT's ;)

10. and if it is an SVT tube head, it could be one of the pre tubes going bad

it could also be your speaker cab

11. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Oy vey fellas, thanks for all the help but I was just looking for a little information regarding the size of the pickups on the GSR205. My ampeg sounds great with my friends Marcus Miller bass, can we get past my amp please? Will a standard J fit or does the J need to be a little bit longer? Thanks in advance

12. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    You could measure the size of the pickups yourself. I don't know how many Talkbassers have the GSR205.

A standard J will not fit (or even if it does, it will have the incorrect number of pole pieces). You need a pickup made specifically for a five-string bass and fits the measurements of your current ones, or does not have pole pieces (ala Barts).

13. punch5

punch5

Aug 23, 2004
    Hutto, Texas
    I have this exact bass and also didn't care for the tone, or lack thereof. I wasn't ready to spend the $$$ on a upgraded bass, so I replaced the pickups with a couple of passive Bartolini Jazz 5-string pickups. If I remember, they were a slightly tight fit, but they got 'em in there without too much trouble. Definitely made a difference.

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

5 strings are wider in most cases (Lawrence and Ken Smith use the same pup) since the string spread is. The pup sites specify 5 string/extended range pups and some sites like Bart list the dimensions.

Regardless, sometimes the pups won't just drop in and need a hair removed from the routing here or there so be prepared for that. You need to have some idea of what difference in sound you're looking to make a pup selection. That usually correlates with the kind of music you play. You're relatively limited in 5 string selection but still reading pup reviews would be useful.

15. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    We never used the Same J pickup but we did use the same tooling. Our Pickups were wound differently and our Pickups were Shielded. Lawrence did not shield their J models.

We stopped using that Pickup almost a year age. Delivery was impossible and a few other issues to remain undisclosed.

We developed a New J pickup last year and have started installing them. It will take awhile to update our web photos as we make less Js than the other models.

Heres is a Pic of the new J in a Bass; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrj/bsr5jmodel1.html

Shielded Humbucker with no poles and no name (at the moment).

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Ken,

sorry about the cross up in the other posts. Live and learn. Seems practically all makers have pups wound to their specs so sameness is a low probability shot at best.

In this particular case the meaning was the makers used the same pup for both 4 and 5 string basses - thus the atypical 9 pole configuration. Not that the makers pups were identical otherwise.

I've since had the BL 45's and they didn't sound like the Smiths so in that sense, I'd ruled the sameness out (though they could have been different era pups I was comparing). And seems the BL's were actually long and shorts where I think yours were same length - but I really don't remember.

History now at any rate so appreciate the update and feedback.

17. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Actually we DID use Long and Short for nk and br. It was our Burner Basses and PUs that were long only...

Thx for the update on your experiences..