Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup replacement questions for Fender P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mingus Dew, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Mingus Dew

Mingus Dew

Jul 8, 2005
    I've got a MIM Fender P that I eventually want to trick out and I've got a question about pickup replacement. I plan to stick a quarter pounder in it and I was wondering if I should also have the pots replaced as well. Is it recommended to do this or are the stock electronics in the MIMs good enough?

2. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    You're probably better off with the quarter pounder. Don't throw out the stock pickup, just in case you like that sound better.

3. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I just did this but w/ Fender "Original" pups. Night and day. Do it. The stock MIM pickups suck. I went straight into the board at my friends studio before and after I replaced the pups and I tell ya it's night and day. Go for it.

You might order some nice new regular ol' 250 pots to go with it... but not necessary.

OSF

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I replaced the pup in my MIM P with a DiMarzio Will Power Middle pup..I love it. I've heard great things about the Duncan Quarter Pounder...and if it's good enough for Steve Harris... One local guy had a couple and he installed the Lindy Fralin P Bass pickups...those sound incredible too!

What really matters is that YOU have to like it...

I left both my controls and bridge stock. I did have a BadAss II on it at one time, but I'm happy with the stock bridge.

Purists would have you change the knobs!

5. I replaced the stock pickup in my MIM 2000 P with a Duncan SPB-2 (Hot For P) and didn't like the strident middy tone. I then replaced it with a Will Power Middle which is better, but I'm still grumbling over the tone.

My P (with TI Flats) has no thump, and sounds very "woody" for lack of a better term. I suspect my P is actually an upright in drag, so I'm gonna swap my J-fretless neck onto the P and sound how it goes. I'd rather have a fretted J anyway, so this might be a perfect match.

Strings are easier to change than pickups. I wish I had done strings first, because I think the TI Flats are probably the source of the "woody" tone and no-thump.

My daughter's boy-toy is loaning me his MIM-P with a Quarter-Pounder installed. I will have it for play time, and 1:1 comparison between mine and his. I'll post more on this.

6. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey Bruce, long time no hear from ....

Your assessment of the TI flats is right in line with my experience on my MIJ Jazz bass. Completly changed the tone to a very mid intensive, very woody almost upright type of tone. Suprisingly though it sounds great in the mix.

Back to the topic at hand ...

If your controls are working OK now then you certainly don't have to upgrade. You can probably gain a small amount of tone improvement and gain some component longesvity by upgrading to good quality pots and a better quality tone capacitor. The pickup will make up 95% of the improvement though.

7. Greetings: Sacramento to Portland.

:D

I briefly played the MIM P with the stock pickups with GHS Progressives, and they thumped nicely.

I had it in my head the MIM pickups suck, and must be changed. I did the TI Flats at the same time. Making two changes at the same time = big mistake.

The MIM still uses the stock pots, although I installed a series/parallel switch for the pickup wiring on the Will Power Middle. Mine is very "woody" sounding, and does well in recordings and in the mix as noted above. It still doesn't thump, though. I have a feeling I've missed out on the primal P grind by making changes. That is why I'm looking forward to playing the loaner P with Quarter Pounders, and roundwounds.