Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup replacement survey!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by panic_striken, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Aero

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Nordstrand

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. Lindy Fralin

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Sadowsky

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I am replacing the pickups in my Warwick Corvette. I have installed an Aguliar OBP-3 preamp. I just need the right pickups to compliment my bass. Any imput is appreciated :)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what don't you like about your current sound, and what sound are you shooting for? What body woods on your corvette?

3. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I am going for that 70's Jazz sound........almost Jaco, but a little more balanced.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    then go for single coils, and read the jazz pickups review threads in the FAQ and listen to the jazz pickup soundclips linked to in the FAQ also.

However, I'm not entirely sure you're going to get where you want to be with the bass you have. The 70's J sound is as much, if not more, to do with pickup placement than the pickups themselves.

5. have you tried the SD Antiquities? They are quite good. I feel that they give a slightly fuller tone than the Fralins.. but the Fralins are really good too.. erm.. ya. :)

6. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    You're not going to get a 70's Jazz sound out of a Corvette, Bubinga is way too dense of a wood for that kind of tone. This coming from someone who's owned a Corvette. Nice bass, it'll never be warm though. If you want a 70's Jazz sound, get a used Jazz and drop a set of Nordstrand NJ4's into it, you'll be gold.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree, except for the Nordstrand part. Good pickups, no doubt, but I see nothing wrong with the pickups in the American and Japanese Fenders. And even the Mexican pickups are a lot less noisy than they used to be.

But yeah, you can even put stock Fender pickups on a Warwick and it will never sound like a Jazz. Too bright, too sustainy.

8. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    They're definitely not bad pickups, it's just that the wood on the older Fenders has dried out a bit and I think that there's a bit more resonance lurking inside of them. To my ears, the Nordstrands do a fantastic job of giving newer J's that resonant sound. I've had Fender pups in two J's. In one, I put Fralins and Nordstrands in the other. The Nordstrand totally outdoes both the stock Fenders and the Fralins for vintage vibe IMHO. YMMV though.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Being the resident anti-pickup modding guy on here, I do have to say my M does V.

10. My vote's for the Fralins. I use them in both of my Fenders. I helped a friend try out J sets by Nordstrand, Sadowsky and Fralin in his bass and he ultimately ended up with the Fralins. I think they're all good but to each his own....