Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Let me draw you a picture

N P P B
    I I R
    E C C I
    K K D
    C U U G
    P P E
    K

Do you get the point?

now then, what I planned to do is to take both pickups out and put in a better pickup in the bridge position(in the hole left by the old pickup). I dont want to leave the the neck position pickup in there, I want to take it out. But, I also dont want a big hole there. Is there anyway to fill it up or cover it over? (the body style does not allow for a pickguard). Ask if your confused. What do you recommend? Thanks a lot.

Nate M

2. wow, I swear the picture looked better before i posted it. Basically, there are two soapbars, one at bridge position and one a beck position. Clear enough, sorry for that poor excuse for a picture.

3. that should be "and one at neck position"

Sorry, i failed english class last year.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A good luthier would be able to fill the hole with a pice of wood, but I'd only recommend this if the bass is painted (refinish would be required), or else you'd see the the mismatch in the wood grain.

Why not leave the pickup in there as a dummy?
    Or get a matching new two-pickup set. You can still disable the neck pickup, but I'd install it properly so you use it just in case. You can always dial in body pickup only.

5. You could take the neck pickup out of it's cover and leave the cover there as a dummy.

Also, what sort of bass is this? If it has a pickguard.. you could have a new pickguard made that would cover up the neck pickup hole.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Huh?!? :confused:

There's no need to rip apart a perfectly good pickup, it can be used as a dummy when still intact.
    And he said that a pickguard wasn't an option.