1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup response.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LT131, Oct 3, 2017.

1. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    We played a small outdoor gig Saturday. During sound check the sound guy comes up with his tablet and says, I'm getting no highs from you, play a note.". I play and he shows me some sort of frequency thing and sure nuff nothing over 400hz. I reach down and grab my tone and crank the treble, on a Pbass using EMG Geezers with stock pots and harness, and up jumps the response and he says there it is and is happy.

Is it normal for a tone control to kill the response that low? Am I confused with all of this?

Signed,

Befuddled Bassist.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Does this "sound guy" have ears?

3. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Yes, they were prominent and evidently worked well.

4. He did realise it was a bass guitar and not a treble guitar, right? ;)

Yes, a passive tone pot will roll off treble with a very gentle slope. So a roll-off that starts around 400 (or even lower) is perfectly normal for a regular passive P. Then when fully down it will actually create a little resonance peak in that 200-400 region. (A lot of players quite like this.)

5. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Thanks much. I never realized how much of a bass is packed into a relatively small amount of sonic space. Makes me rethink how I'm setting things when not getting FOH help.

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Also, remember that the frequency scale is logarithmic, not linear. From 40Hz to 320Hz is three octaves.