Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Screw coming out on Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fastplant, Oct 6, 2003.

1. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had a really weird problem on Sat. night. While I was playing, the neck pickup on my Thumb 5 unscrewed so much that it was pushing against my E string. At first it sounded like I blew my amp from all the buzzing, but it was the pickup screw. Anyone else have this problem on the Thumbs and what's the solution? Thanks

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Getting a screwdriver and screwing the pickup back in usually does the trick.;)

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Haha, ok ok, I'll make this clearer, how do I prevent this from happening again. I actually screwed the screw back in with my fingernail in between song so I could keep playing.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Maybe the screw they used is too short. If your action is high and your pickups are raised close to the strings, which seems to be your case, you might need to lower your action or get a longer screw.

Hope this helps.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was thinking about lowering my action anyway, I'll probably do that and see if it works, thanks

6. thadood

thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Well, if that isn't the case, the the screw stripped (eck!) the screw hole, you can wrap just a tad bit of paper around the screw and screw it back in. Works for the strap buttons, so it should work for anything else =)

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Were it me, I'd fix it right. Take the pickup out, put some wood putty in the screw hole, let it cure, then drill a new hole smaller than the screw, then reinstall the pickup and screw. Good as new.

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well the screw didn't fall out, it unscrewed, it's not stripped I could tell that. It just unscrewed itself.

9. i think its called tite lock it liek wite tape u use on threds. its made eof nylon i belive, use that.

10. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Actually, I need to get the bass setup anyway, I'm going to just take it to a professional to do it and mention the problem, thanks guys!