Pickup Selection

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Ok, I've got a 5-String bass with an Alder body and a Mahogany neck. I'm pretty sure the current pick-ups are active, (No sound at all without batteries.) The current pickups are both J style, stock, pickups. These pikups were made by the same company that made the bass, SGC nanyo(Went out of buisiness in the early 90's, so no info sound clips etc. available)... I was thinking of upgrading them with a cople of Seymour Duncans.

For the bridge: Quarter Pound Jazz Bass Pickup

For the neck: Hot Jazz Bass Pickup

A few questions:

Will this have a serious impact on the type of sound my bass makes?

Will they be hard to install?

Can I install two different inds of pickups like this? And are they sold as singles?

Oh yeah, and what do you think?
  2. Seeing as noone deemed my post worthy of response, I'll BUMP it.

Also, will I have a problem installing these pickups since my current ones are active?
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, you can buy them separately. You'll just have to remove the battery clip, since you won't be needing it. Unless you have an active preamp as well. You should have no problem installing two different kinds of duncans. The only problem that may come up is a bit different output. But the only way to tell is to try it.

They will probably drastically change the way your bass sounds. This is usually a good thing. As far as installation, just remember that the new pickups do not need voltage.
  4. If I have an active preamp as well, will this increase the difficulty of the installation?
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Just because you don't get sound without batteries doesn't mean the pickups are active. Could be that there's no active/passive bypass, in which case no batteries means no sound loss.
    As to your last question, the answer is - it depends. Open it up and look at the wiring in the cavity - photos would be nice.
  6. I'm new to this forum and would like some help. I was wondering what kind of sound i would get if i changed the bridge pickup on my fender jazz passive bass to an oringinal ' 62 NECK pickup. Would this cause any electronic problems? I'm looking for that really fat warm sound. My amp setup is direct through a Bose PAS system. Thanks for any help.