Pickup Selection

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CS Bass, Mar 28, 2003.

1. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get some help here.

I'm in a band with around 18 instruments, and we are pretty loud, and I realize the only reason I'm not play the upright in the swing show we are doing tomorrow is because the pickup is low quality and falling off.

So I'm looking for a pickup.

Here's some info:
    I've been playing upright and electric for 6 and 3 years respectively, my band plays jazz, swing, latin, motown, blues, and some other sub genres. I play the electric for most of the songs but we really need the upright sound for some of our songs. I usually just palm mute and its beginning to sound convincing.
    My gear is: Tech21 Sansamp PSA-1::Carvin RL1000 Power stage::Carvin 4x10

I like a natural woody tone. It needs to be durable. I think thats about it. But I really don't see paying $100 for 2 pieces of metal and a jack...Removability is a major plus.

Need any other info...?

2. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Bass Max
    one piece of rubber and a jack
    $92.00 with shipping
    It will give you that nice woody sound and it does cut through the mix pretty well at reasonably loud volume.
    But an 18 piece band may be alot to compete with unless you run a send into the p.a. as well.

You can look at magnetic pu's as an option. They run a bit more money generaly and do not give you much of a woody sound.

But you can get loud as hell with one.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  4. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Thanks, Kevinlee, for your actual reply. I'm gonna go check that out in a sec.
  5. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    does the bass max need a pre-amp?
  6. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    In theory YES you need a preamp, due to the inherently high impedence of piezo elements, in practice NO, since the BassMax directly plugged into the amp provides a usable signal, depending on the amp you have.
  7. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Bass Max usable without a preamp? Yes.
    Adequate? No.
    And especially so if you are trying to compete in an 18 piece band.
    For actual volume a magnetic pickup cannot be beat but it does not have any 'wood' to it. though that can be eq'd in to a small degree with the right amp. Using it WITH a piezo or mic system can provide enough fundamental to cut through nicely.

For $100 your choices are very limited. Steve Azola is selling alot of different stuff at great prices. Check here:

BTW- Chris was actually trying to be helpful pointing you to that link. The topic of pickups has been covered so exhaustively that there are dedicated sections for previous discussions. Alot of great info there.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sorry that a link to specific threads containing discussions of every DB pickup owned by anyone here on the board doesn't qualify as an "actual reply". :rolleyes: