1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup size? Does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soundoholic, Apr 28, 2010.

1. I'm working on building a Warmoth Custom Bass. I'm planning on installing Villex pickups. I want a Jazz Style pickup configuration but I'm not sure what size of a pickup I should get.

Should I get the 3 5/8" Neck and 3 3/4" Bridge or the 4" Neck and 4 1/8" Bridge? Will this really make a difference?

Thanks for any help,
    Chris

2. You're comparing four string and five string pickup sizes.

If it's a four string, get 3 5/8" and 3 3/4". If it's a five string, get 4" and 4 1/8".

3. Thanks! I know it was something simple like that. I'll have to look and see if Villex makes 5 string sizes.

4. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    You'll want to order the size that matches what size routes you select when you configure your body. Thats very critical.

5. Okay. I got hold of Villex and they don't make the pickups in a 5 string version...

So is it terrible to have 4 string pickups on a 5 string bass? Otherwise I'm going to look elsewhere for pickups.

Thanks,
    Chris

6. It's fine as long as the strings fall within the pole piece's coverage.

IMHO, it looks absolutely hilarious if you use four string pickups with traditional bi-pole pole pieces on a five string.
    Make sure you use blade style pole pieces.

IIRC, all of Villex's pickups have covered pole pieces, right?

7. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    It's not terrible if you like narrow string spacing. Something on the order of 16mm, as compared to a normal 19mm spacing.