1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup suggestion request for 5 string P style

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Webtroll, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for a decent pickup to use paired with a hot SD MM bridge pickup on a 5 string bass. The bass is an SX so I'm not afraid to make holes in order to see how I like things, but I don't have the finances to buy 10 different pickups just to see how I like them. So... I'm looking for something hot enough to be paired with an MM, it needs to be Precision configured, the Jazz style pickups look out of place on the P bass style pickguard (yes, I want it for looks as well as sound). What do I want it to sound like? you may ask; I like many styles of rock and metal with the ability to get a jazzy or bluesy vibe. It should be passive as I don't plan to put any active electronics in the bass to start out with. The Delano P5s look like they would go well. I'd considered a pair of Nordstrand Fat Stacks and to hell with the looks but I can't bring myself to install pickups that cost 3X as much as the whole bass did to begin with. In other words non P bass pickup opinions will also be considered but as not going to be nearly as likely.

Anyhoo, opinions?

2. +1000

I am also looking for 5 string Precision pickup. Please help us...

Sorry Webtroll for putting this in your thread, but I guess it's better than creating more clutter.

Peace,

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Bill Lawrence makes a highly regarded line of pickups for very good prices. He has a P model that works for 4, 5 or 6 string bass and costs $56. Mail order only.

4. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Have you played the Bill Lawrence and liked it? I had a BL in my strat when I got it and hated it.

5. was it an ebay Bill Lawrence or one of his personally supplied pups- there's a difference!!!
    becky@billlawrence.com will get U to 'em direct & is best way!

6. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It was an already installed bridge pickup that didn't quite pickup the high E string and wasn't really good on the others either with a single or dual blade system (I got rid of it years ago and the only thing I remember about it is that it was cream colored. Maybe.