Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wRaith, Feb 11, 2006.

1. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I am seriously thinking of having a custom 6-string built. What is a good, versatile pickup arrangement?

Sorry for the dumb question, I just don't know much about these finer points of bass design.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

There have been previous posts regarding 6 string pups and a search should pull them up.

I don't play 6's so don't know. My guess is, fairly limited selection/availability from the outset.

DavidRavenMoon in the luthiers forum builds extended range basses and winds pups in various configurations in a soap housing so I would think a good contact.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'd ask the lutheir building the bass for their opinions and go with what they recommend. They know more about what works with their woodwork than we would.

Dual soapbar humbuckers is a pretty safe setup.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've always wondered why so often there are threads from guys asking about pup recs for a custom bass built bass and just assumed it was for independent feedback. I also get the impression luthiers are more into building than electronics.

Guess I'm going to start asking.

5. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    The guy I'll be looking to get to build the bass (philmaloux, from these boards, sorry if I spelled the username wrong Phil) builds his own pick-ups. So I can have pretty much any setup I want consisting of a mixture of soapbar humbuckers, MM humbuckers and/or "normal" P and J pickups.

I'll probably go for two soapbars (a neck and bridge). Thanks to those that gave advice.