1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broadstbully22, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I have a cheap Dean EAB acoustic bass that I love when playing unplugged but if I plug in, the electronics sound horrible. The bass was a gift from my girl some I'm not going to trade up plus I take it to camp fires and camping, so its perfect for me. I do want to change the electronics out, because if there is more then one guitar i plug in because I need more volume.

So now the question, do you guys have suggestions electronics that would fit, sound good, and not cost to much.

2. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
  3. I have that same bass in black and fretless. I have it strung BEAD with webstring.com's Detroit flat stainless steel strings.

Yeah, the electronics sound horrible, but it's likely that any substitute will also sound pretty bad.

You might consider a pedal of some sort. I'd suggest turning down the treble to get rid of the clunky sounds and handle the rest of the "doctoring" of the sound on the amp's controls.

4. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Agree with teh previous poster on running it through a pedal. I have the same Dean bass and it sounds MUCH better when run through my DOD Milkbox compressor pedal.