1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Swap Opinions Wanted - I HATE SOLDERING!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tracer03, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Dimarzio Area J

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Duncan Designed Single Coils

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fender Super 55 Split Coils

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Really, I do. As often as I have had to solder, I would rather monkey with the fussy heel-adjusted truss rod on my 60's Jazz than solder.

Take neck off. Turn. Put neck on. Tune. Wait. one day later - check. Neck off, adjust. Humidity change a week later? Lather, rinse and repeat....

Even with decent equipment, I dread it.

So, I've gotten tired of my Ultra Jazz pickups. Just too scooped, compared to a friend's Area Js. They worked for the band setting I was in years ago, now I am looking for something 'less' scooped.

I have three sets of pickups, all of which I like, but I can't decide which I like 'bestest'.

Dimarzio Area Js
    Duncan Designed Single Coils (from a Squier VM body I picked up a while back)
    Fender Super 55 Split Coils

The bass in question is a Geddy Lee Jazz, fully shielded, etc. Basically, I'm going to install a set and unload/sell/trade the others.

DISCLAIMER: This in NO WAY has anything to do with the wife telling me to get rid of the extra music stuff laying around. Nope. Uh-uh.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The J pickups I want to try are Joe Barden's. FWIW.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Worth investing in some no-soldering connectors?

4. ReneB

ReneB

Dec 6, 2014
    Ithaca, NY
    This won't help with your pick up selection but, due to your disclaimer, I'd suggest you consider a way to avoid "extra music stuff laying around" for her to see :) ... Maybe you need a music room or something so your music stuff isn't affecting anyone's sense of feng shui or something like that ...

5. maybe the suggestions from my thread would be helpful to you. lots of folks like the 55's

tracer03 likes this.
  6. Yeah, I used to have one, but two pre-teen boys sharing the same bedroom put the kibosh on THAT...So, until I hit the Powerball, I'm kinda out of 'secret Man cave' options.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sell all and get a set of Lace Sensor Man O War's. You'll thank me later.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The Super 55's are amazing pickups.

9. SamuelSandoval

SamuelSandoval Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I had a set of Joe Barden on a fender jazz american deluxe V and liked them quite a lot! fwiw.