1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickup switching options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrChrizmo, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MrChrizmo

MrChrizmo

Mar 31, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    hey,

I'm thinking about having a custom shop bass built, I'm quite sure on body wood, neck etc

however I'm not so sure on pickups, and especially pickup switching options

when I browse through the foderas, benaventes, fibaneres etc I often see, apart from the poti knobs, some switches

now the way I understand it (and please bear with me, my understanding doesn't reach very far on this matter) if you got humbucker pickups, the switching options you can get are coil split to split the humbuckers into singlecoils, then switching them serial and switching them paralell, am I right ?

now coil split I understand, I got a Sandberg Bass with Humbucker in the Bridge position and a coil switch, (to be honest, apart from loss of output in singlecoil mode I haven't heard so much difference really)

now, serial and parallel switching, as far as I have informed myself on here, serial gives a fatter tone than parallel but maybe with the loss of some clarity

lastly, at least on guitar, I know there's the possibility to switch pickups out of phase, however I have no idea on the effects on sound

so, I'm planning on active pickups with active/passive push-pull knob, 3-band EQ, volume and blend poti and a series of switches for these modes

any other switching options I forgot ?

another question to the guys on here who have a bass with these switching options, in your opinion, are they worth having, do you really use all the different sound options ?

thanks in advance,
    regards,
    Chris

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    I made a bass that had lots of pickup switching possibilities, but quickly found that I didn't use any of them. The only switch that I occasionally used was the coil tap switch (Single/dual coil).

The out of phase switching is pretty cool, but is mostly a novelty IMO. It's fun to experiment with to get a thin, twangy sound, but i doubt many would actually use it to play.

I ended up ripping out the whole switching system and installed a 3 band EQ/pre. (EMG BQC) The only thing I kept was the coil tap switch as a push pull pot. I find the EQ more than adequate to shape a nice tone.