Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup testing?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by travatron4000, Jan 2, 2004.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have this old Epiphone accu bass. My 1st bass. It doesnt work. When i plug it in i get a lot of buzz and a little signal. I rewired the pickups and ground straight to the jack and got the same thing. Are the Pickups fried or what? Can i test them and the other components? i have a muli tester. with the vu meter and the selector to switch to test current and ohms. Should i just say f*** it and get new electronics?

it also needs to be refretted. something i probabally shouldn't do myself. unless i wanna go jaco and rip them out and fill the gaps with epoxy. would a replacement neck be cheaper? and if so is it even possible to get one for a cheap epiphone. it's similar to a P bass but i'm not sure how similar.

travis

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Travatron,
    try seting your multi-meter to ohms and see what you get. you should see a reading (approx) of 9 or 10K.
    If you don't get that and you still get an OL reading the pups are toast. Hope that helps.