1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickup testing?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by travatron4000, Jan 2, 2004.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have this old Epiphone accu bass. My 1st bass. It doesnt work. When i plug it in i get a lot of buzz and a little signal. I rewired the pickups and ground straight to the jack and got the same thing. Are the Pickups fried or what? Can i test them and the other components? i have a muli tester. with the vu meter and the selector to switch to test current and ohms. Should i just say f*** it and get new electronics?

it also needs to be refretted. something i probabally shouldn't do myself. unless i wanna go jaco and rip them out and fill the gaps with epoxy. would a replacement neck be cheaper? and if so is it even possible to get one for a cheap epiphone. it's similar to a P bass but i'm not sure how similar.

travis

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Travatron,
    try seting your multi-meter to ohms and see what you get. you should see a reading (approx) of 9 or 10K.
    If you don't get that and you still get an OL reading the pups are toast. Hope that helps.