1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup that resembles the squier VM Tele Bass Pup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vdub75, Oct 17, 2013.

1. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    Hi guys,

cheers from germany!

I'd like to get some rumbling goin on with a 1 pup fenderbird project. I love the looks of a mudbucker but I need a brighter sound.

so I gotte get one and make it sqitcheable in series/parallel/single coil as described here...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/taming-beast-squier-vm-telebass-mudbucker-524029/

but you don't get those pickups anywhere. I found a replacement by artec but its only muddy even in parallel... dimarzio model 1 is a bit too expensive and black...

is there any pup I can use? or should I just get myself a pickup cover from an epiphone EB0 and throw a single coil tele bass pickup underneath that?

thanks

2. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    I'd suggest you contact Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe guitars (http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com) and let him know what you're looking for. He can wind you something that will sound however you want (within reason, of course). He does a fantastic job with the aesthetics, too. If you want one that looks just like the original, I'm sure he can do that, or he has lots of other options available as well. His website only has a very small sampling of what's available, and he'll send you lots of photos of his past work to give you some ideas.

He ships internationally, and his service is stellar -- the best communication I've had with a pickup winder yet. Only once have I had a turnaround longer than 10 days with him, and that's because I ordered right before he was going on vacation.

3. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    but a custom-made pickup will be very costly?

4. [​IMG] 018.%202-L. vdub75 a custom wound pickup need not be costly. i put the Cavalier 51 P Bass into my Tele Thinline for less than the cost of the big name manufactured brands. See the link s below:

http://frettech.com/

5. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    I still have a fender 51 p lying around here. can I put it under a mudbucker cover or maybe an early thunderbird cover?

6. i would hook it up on the bench to see how you like the sound. if you like it well enough then find or make a suitable cover for it.
    ps are you air-cooled? Take care/ Bob

7. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    thanks... yeah kind of... my first car was a '75 superbeetle and now I'm getting a 72 thing (directly from the german militairy, one of the last ones they have... for 550€... best buy I'll ever make)

Ain't had an aircooled ride since my superbeetle crashed in 2008 (got an 83 mexican beetle in the garage but that ones a piece of junk and never saw a street in 15 years... trying to sell it for ages...)

8. Sorry for the slight derail, but that is, without a doubt, one of the coolest basses I have seen in a long time. I love the take on the Tele look!

9. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Curtis Novak's FatBucker:

EB-AA-2.

10. 77545403_QvY8R-O-3-XL.

My 73 T-4 powered 181 . Flat 4 & Wide 5. Take care. Bob

11. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    Xaxxat: 210 Bucks is more than I wanted to spend... I'll get myself a thunderbird pup cover and throw the tele bass single coil under it (or maybe two tele single coils in parallel/series wiring?)

Rob: sweet thang, IRS or swing axle? Mine will be 72 so swing axle... still not sure if I keep it stock or lower it.... gotta take some time to decide on that

12. vdub75 the trans is 091 bus ( 2.0L) IRS W/944 CV joints. the engine is from 914 Porsche.has big bore high performance web cam dual 40 delortos ect Front & rear suspension have been widened 6 inches, Body sits on 4 inch lift. if you lower swing axles the rear wheels tuck in at the top.
    i used to moderate this thing forum under user name bob ingman
    http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=95d143cd1df28ee1e9212668d600b653

complete vw classifieds here
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/
    take care good luck with thing and bass

13. blindrabbit the one piece maple neck and bridge were pirated from the squier vm tele bass shown in the photos. neck pu pocket was deepened by knocking out the partition to set the neck deeper into the body. i like the 32 inch scale. pg is modified pbass bringing all various parts together. that pu is sweet too. take care. bob

14. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    I just listened to some youtube videos and soundfiles and have (nearly) decided to take the tele bass single coil and hide it under a thunderbird pickup cover!

I bought a cheap-o t-bird copy for the body and I'm gonna do this project in the winter!

only alternative would be if I can get a squier fideli-tron (gretsch style) pickup out of a cabronita for cheap.

15. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    oh I've got one more idea... is there a soap bar on the market that sounds like an SD Quarterpound Split Coil? Or would a split coil fit a soap bar cover?

16. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    There you go. Roll your own!