Pickup to counter a DiMarzio

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ironflippy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ironflippy

ironflippy

Sep 18, 2006
    I love the nice round sound I get from my newly refinished and upgraded P Bass. It has a DiMarzio Split P humbucker in the standard P Bass position. While this is good for a thick sound, I'd also like a brighter sound for slapping and popping. If I were to add a J style pickup to the bridge position, would it enhance the highs? Or is it more of an amp thing? I have a Peavey Databass, which only has a 15" speaker in it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    Try messing with your EQ first. If you want that stereotypical modern slap sound, boost your lows and highs, but cut your mids. Play with it and see what sounds good to you, but that should get you started.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, the Databass is all mids.

4. ironflippy

ironflippy

Sep 18, 2006
    I've tried boosting the highs and lows and cutting the mids. While it improves the sound, it seems like something is still missing. It might be the lack of a tweeter in my amp, I'm not sure. There is a "bright" switch on the amp, which helps, but would probably help more if I had a different speaker setup.

The reason I suggested a new pickup was because I know the harmonic overtones are more present closer to the bridge. But it seems like it's more the amp's problem. Oh well, I love the deep bass I'm getting, I just wanted to see if there was something I could do to get a different sound. Thanks guys!

5. what kind of speaker are you using? you could switch to a 4X10 or add a 2X10 to your setup to make a more cutting sound!

6. ironflippy

ironflippy

Sep 18, 2006
    Man, I wish I could use a different speaker setup. The Databass, surprisingly doesn't have any ext. speaker jacks, so I can only use the 15" one that is built in.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 27, 2021