1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup to pair with Guild Bisonic / Darkstar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by function, Feb 14, 2020.

1. function

function Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Always loved my p-bass modded for the Guild Bisonic but have been toying around with putting something in the bridge position. I would love it if another Bisonic would fit, but it's a tad too crammed. Any suggestions for a good co-pilot for the Guild pup?

2. Teryup

Teryup

Oct 16, 2019
    Lakland makes pickups based on the bisonic but in a j-bass pickup size. I don't have any personal experience with them, but if you want a bisonic and don't have room they seem like a good place to look.

3. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    20190818_212503.jpg

I would have liked to put a tv jones in bridge of my epi eb0 w guild reissue bisonic at neck but I dont trust myself routing new cavity and local shops didnt sound like they had experience either.

Found a guitar surface mount goldfoil and used that. Hoping for drastically different sound due to different construction but it really sounds 99% the same (guess eb0 just sounds like an eb0...or I sound like m no matter what) Maybe should have put it closer to bridge but past middle felt its strong spacing too small. Novak is coming out with a bass gold foil that supposedly surface (or pick cover at least) mounts.

Happy with it for looks. Seems naked without it now.

4. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    I have an SG bass kit which on it I put the Bi-Sonic in the bridge pozish and left the original cheap mini humbucker in neck. Very interesting combo.

5. If the pickup @Nebula24 has in the picture is a Victory, I have 2 in a bass and they sound good. Pay attention to the size of the pickup and your string spacing, the ones I have don’t sense much outside of the flat foil part of the pickup. They’re also a little microphonic but the ones they’re based on are very microphonic, so....

Nebula24 likes this.
  6. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Yes it's a Victory. It does work great for me. Sounds a bit fuller and louder than bisonic but is also closer to strings. Great pickup for 1/2 price of my bisonic. Works fine where I put it. But its size does limit location.

7. On mine, the G is right at the edge of the bridge pickup and doesn’t “pickup” well which was interesting because I have others where a string is a long way off of the edge of the pickup and registers fine.

8. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    This is cool

rafonk likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021