1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup trouble on 70s-jazz bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Taxxorrak, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Taxxorrak

Taxxorrak

Feb 7, 2009
    Norway.
    Hello everyone.

I bought a 70s J-bass some time ago. The neck is awesome, however the body had an awful finish so I had to switch it out. Now the bass looks great and plays great, only thing is that the electronics are kind of wonky.

When I turn both pickups all the way up, I get this "out of phase"-like sound. It was there when I bought it and still is. It sounds okay when they are not ALL the way up; as in I can turn for instance the bridge PU all the way up, but I can't turn the neck PU all the way up , I have to stop at about 90%.

A friend of mine, who is a great player, said that the bass really lacked some punch that is commonly found in 70s J-basses. What that means is that, even without the phase-sound, I still get this really unbeefy, bad tone from a bass with totally new strings, etc. There is no punch to be found whatsoever.

Has anyone had any experience like this? I have no clue when it comes to electronics whatsoever, but could the general lack of sound/signal be caused by that the pickups are in phase? Can this be fixed? I would love to start using the bass, because right now it's just standing there collecting dust.

Thanks alot for any help in advance! :)

I really appreciate it!

-T

2. it sound like it's out of phase, try swapping the hot and ground wires on one of he pickups, this should remedy any phase issues, if that doesn't work it's beyond my limited knowledge of pickups, it's a quick try and easy to undo if it doesn't work