pickup under 30?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 6sixx6, Oct 24, 2004.

1. 6sixx6

Oct 2, 2004
    hi i have 30-40 dollers or so to spend on a pick up for the bass im building any recomendationd i play all forms of rock and some metal i never use distortion so any recomendations would help thanx
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do you have routes yet? Do you know what configuration?

For metal, I'd recommend a single P or P/J config. If you're looking for just a P, you can get a used Dimarzio Model P for about $40 if you're patient. If you decide to go P/J, your best bet is something like Mighty Mite for $30 apiece, of get some cheapies off eBay.

If you want good tone, you're going to need to gather up a few more bucks.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, DM's are probably the best value out there - in terms of good sound for less money rather than just being cheap.

There's no point building the bass you want and then skimping on the pickups. Pickups are an incredibly important part of the sounds chain.
  4. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Can't go wrong with an old cream-colored Dimarzio P!!! A bushel of angry tones...
  5. 6sixx6

Oct 2, 2004
    there is aset of fender p bass pickups at a local music store should i buy those
  6. ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I actually think the $20 mightymite soapbars aren't too bad for the price. They're no barts, but for $40/pair you could do much worse.
  7. i'll give you my mim fender jazzes for $2+shipping if you justwant some cheap pups...