Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nunk6, Aug 26, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    hey i'm gooing to buy a squire and replace the pickups what's a good pick to get a nice slap sounds i was thinking of like these AGI from Lace music things or "demarzio" or something HELP!!!!

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Is the Squire bass you're going to buy new or used? If it's new, I don't know why you would buy a new bass that (to please you) needs modification.

If you still need advice on a replacement pickup(s), tell us what pickup configuration this Squire bass has.

I personally have put new pickups and a new active preamp into a Squire bass. It was not a wise financial investment, but I did it for the fun and the learning experience (and I didn't risk destroying a pricey bass - major routing involved).

3. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    how did that turn out with the active circuit and such i really would like to know, what was wrong with it?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One of the problems you run into is that by the time you buy the Squier and the upgrades and do the work, you could have just stepped up a level or two in the Fender line or elsewhere.

For example you could easily put $400 into a Squier (including the bass). OTOH I bought a used MIA Jazz Deluxe 5 for $500.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I started out with a Squire Pro-Tone P-Bass (almost the same as a Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special) with P/J pickups.

BTW, this is the first bass I ever owned, and I played 4 different ones (same model) at 3 different stores before I chose the one I bought.

After about 4 months after I bought the bass, I couldn't deal with the wimpy stock pickups anymore, so I replaced them with a set of Seymour Duncan APJ-2 Lightnin' Rods active pickups (no routing involved). This made a HUGE improvement, but the J-pickup was being a little overpowered by the P-pickup, so...

Next, I installed a Seymour Duncan STC-2a 2-band active EQ. This required major routing to make room for the circuit-board.
    Now, this bass sounds Great! :D
    To me, it sounds better than Fenders' Hot Rod P-Bass (which wasn't available at the time I made these mods.), and I've played them side by side just to see how my Hot Rodded Squire compared. I can get a bright Slap tone, or a fat Blues tone, or any other tone I've needed.

Financially, I will never get back what I put into this bass if I were to sell it. But, like I stated in my earlier post, I modified this bass for the fun and experience. I know I will never sell this bass because of the sweat equity I have invested in it.

Well, that's my Squire modification story. I hope it helps you in some way :) .