1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup upgrade for American Performer Mustang Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rob4, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Rob4

Rob4

Feb 18, 2019
    Hello.

I would like to upgrade the pickups in my American Performer Mustang bass.

I am thinking about a Nordstrom NM4 in the neck position, with a NJ4SV in the bridge position.

I am primarily a guitar player and am much more knowledgable about guitar gear than bass gear. The best way I can describe the tone I want is "old school" and "deep".

With the stock pickups, I usually play 50/50% - 100% in favor of the neck pickup. LaBella flats.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    NKBassman and iiipopes like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Which amp are you playing through?

Honkey tonk likes this.
  3. Rob4

Rob4

Feb 18, 2019
    Rumble 500

4. DC in ATX

DC in ATX Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
  5. Rob4

Rob4

Feb 18, 2019
    thanks; I have seen that but it's limited to what is the neck PU in my Mustang, and doesn't address the J bridge PU.

6. DC in ATX

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Right. I don't think you'll find much in the way of balanced sets, if that's what you have in mind. But that doesn't mean that you can't mix and match. That's presumably what Fender is doing, judging by this list of standard after-market pups. Also, based on your description in the OP, it sounds like the bridge pup is not really the critical variable. Every manufacturer will have one or more J pup to chose from. The mustang-style pup is less common and is primarily what will give you that deep vintage tone.

7. Rob4

Rob4

Feb 18, 2019
    Thanks. I agree its the Mustang PU that's key for me. I'm confident I'll be happy with the Nordstrom NM4, and I just thought sticking with Nordstrom for the J made sense. I'll probably buy from Best Bass Gear and follow their advice.

8. DC in ATX

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    For sure. If you know you want the Nordy at the neck, stick with them for the j at the bridge. That's going to be the closest thing to a balanced/matched set. If they have multiple single j pups to choose from, that's where it gets tricky. (Which may be the whole point of the post. If so, sorry it took me this long to catch up.)

9. Rob4

Rob4

Feb 18, 2019
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    ^^^I don't always shop for bass parts online. But when I do, Frankie at Best Bass Gear is dynamite.

Jackcrow likes this.
  11. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I am sorry to be "that guy" but Nordstrom is a clothing store. Nordstrand is a pickup manufacturer. Thumbs up for Best Bass Gear, and Nordstrand pickups. I'm sure you'll enjoy the sound!

12. Rob4

Rob4

Feb 18, 2019
  13. Rob4

Rob4

Feb 18, 2019
    See, I said I was primarily a guitar player. ;)

NKBassman likes this.
  14. Rob4

Rob4

Feb 18, 2019
    With a wife who likes to shop when I buy gear too.

And I likes this.
  15. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    They make guitar pickups too! I have one of their preamps in a bass of mine, it's all quality stuff.

16. I have the NP4 with the NJSV in my PJ. They rock together.

Rob4 likes this.
  17. DC in ATX

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
  18. Email Nordstrand pickups and tell them what you want and they will tell you which j matches. I don't know if they still do customs. But back in early '00 I emailed them and he wound me a pick up to match what I wanted.

NKBassman likes this.
  19. Rob4

Rob4

Feb 18, 2019
    Good advice. Thanks.

20. Sorry, NJ4SE